Wednesday 13 July 2011

Rain ki dhun

A comment on my last post prompted me to write this one. One of my regular readers asked me if music is not a part of my to do list on a rainy day. Well, of-course it is and how much ever cliched it sounds I love listening to rain songs from Hindi movies. So I am sharing a list of my favorite rain songs and whats so special about them. Feel free to add your favorites in comments.

Rimjhim gire sawan (Manzil) - This beautiful track tops my list for only one reason and that is Kishore Kumar. I could never understand how comfortably he adapted to any situation. Of course the on screen romance between Amitabh and Moushmi Chatterjee was beautiful. Its great to see Big B shed his angry image. But for me this song is all about the great Kishore.

Rimjhim rimjhim (1942 A Love Story) - One of R D Burman's last works. This song visually has everything one could ask for on a rainy day; a secluded place, hills, nature and romance and 'oh so charming' Manisha Koirala. I love the magic Kavita Krishnamurty's voice creates.

Aj rapat jayen (Namakhalal) - I am not so fond of the visuals but the song has tremendous sensuality to it. Once again Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle at their best.

Sawan barse tarse dil (Dahek) - The romance in this one makes me a little mushy too (ok, I accept that :D ) and Akshay Khanna and Sonali Bendre look so innocent.

Sun sun sun barsat ki dhun (Sir) - This song is connected to one of my strongest childhood crushes. On screen while Atul Agnihotri was busy fancying Pooja Bhatt I kept my eyes glued on the much adorable Naseeruddin Shah. Even the hot dream sequence between the protagonists couldn't quiet match up to Mr. Shah's heat quotient.

4 comments:

  1. Bollywood has an amazing collection of rain songs, right?

    The ones you've mentioned are some of my favourites too..

    Some others are:-
    1) Saawan ka mahina, pawan kare shor.. :) Just love this song.

    2) Bheegi Bheegi Bheegi jaadu bhari, lamhon ki ye raatein- From Thakshak

    3) Dekho zara dekho barsaat ki jhadi- Yeh Dillagi

    4) Ek ladki bheegi bhaagi si- this one is just genius.

    And the mother of all rain songs..

    5) Tip tip barsa paani- Mohra. :)

    Akshay Kumar and Raveena Tandon redefined chemistry and sexiness with this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ spaceman spiff....going through your list I think I shd've made mine a top 10 instead of top 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selection of songs.

    For me the best one is "aaj rapat jaayein toh....

    The way u write things is just fantastic.

    keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Kashif....m glad you enjoy it...:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...