Wednesday 12 October 2011

Kahaan tum chale gaye...

A void crept in when I heard the news of Jagjit Singh's demise. I didn't know him but he was more than just a ghazal singer to me. He was a part of my growing up days. My father was a big fan...he still is. Thanks to him that I was introduced to Singh Saab's world of music (yes, we used to call him Singh Saab). The only regret is that we could never hear him live. This post is my tribute to him and here are my five favorite ghazals (by Jagjit Singh) which were a part of my childhood.

Baat niklegi to: The first time I heard this nazm my father was singing it. i didn't get the head or tail of it but fell in love instantly. It still is my top favorite.



Apne hothon par sajana chahta hoon: Akhri hichki tere zanon pe aye...maut bhi main shayrana chahta hoon...Love this sher...




Apko dekhkar dekhta reh gaya:



Koi ye kaise batae ki wo tanha kyun hai: This one is from the movie Arth. Very beautiful, very soulful and very melancholic.




Pyar mujhse jo kiya tumne: From the movie Saath Saath. Even the negativity in this ghazal sounds so lovely.



4 comments:

  1. He was a wonderful person. His songs are very sweet. I especially love this one "Hoshwalon ko khabar kya". We will surely miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirin,
    It was nice to meet you. :)

    You know what? I was to attend the concert of Jagjit Singh the day he was hospitalized. It was so shocking to hear the news that day & was praying for his health.
    So many memorable ghazals he has given us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Shirin, I relate to your feelings for him. He has brought simplicity and charm to Ghazals.

    It was nice meeting you last sunday... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nisha and Joules...:)
    It was great meeting you guys too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...