Monday 7 November 2011

Deool - Movie review

Incase you are wondering whether or not to watch the latest Marathi release Deool, here's my review for the film. I watched it during the Mumbai Film Festival. I am not a native Maharashtrian nor do I understand the language still I absolutely loved the movie. For me a good movie is something that goes beyond the barriers of language. However, the length of Deool is something that bothered me because when you are making a film for the International audience you have to keep it tight (which it is) and short. 




Marathi cinema is several notches ahead of mainstream Bollywood. This has been proved time and again with films like Shwaas, Dombivali Fast, Harishchandrachi Factory and Natrang. Deool, which premiered on the second day of Mumbai Film Festival, can easily be listed in the same category.


The story is of a simple village youth called Kesha (Girish Kulkarni) who has a vision of Datta (God) under a tree. What follows is how the local netas publicise this for their own political benefits. A temple is built instead of a hospital. The village becomes a pilgrimage centre and gets crowded and dirty. The temple’s committee starts raking in money from the devotees and splurges on alcohol and celebrity dance shows read more

5 comments:

  1. Read you full review and liked it very much. I am going to see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vikram Karve...thanks...the movie is a must watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking fwd to this one...
    I loved Harischandrachi Factory... Marathi Cinema is going trough a revival period in terms of quality... hope it persists....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice story too direct a film on.
    I hardly understand the language but i will watch the film :) if i ever get a chance to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvelous work!. Blog is brilliantly written and provides all necessary information I really like this site. Thanks for sharing this useful post.Thanks for the effective information. If you have any requirements for Taxi Services in India then you can book through our website.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...