Thursday 21 August 2014

#ReadABook - The Dalai Lama's Cat by David Michie

Around two years ago I signed up for a book review program with a well known website. As a part of this program I would sign up to review books every time they had a new one out, receive it in the next couple of days if selected, read the book and post a 500 word review within 7 days. While it sounded exciting to get new books in exchange for just a blog post (and I reviewed quite a few books), I found my interest dwindling. I am not a speed reader. I take my own sweet time between travel to and from work to finish a book. So, I stopped. The main reason was spending time and energy reading below average books while I have a whole wishlist of brilliant books to read. 

So I decided to continue writing about books, but the ones that I love and would recommend to fellow readers. The first book of the series is The Dalai Lama's Cat written by David Michie.



I picked this book from a friend early this year and read it with a big smile plastered on my face. The cat, who is also the narrator of this book, is rescued by the Dalai Lama and ends up being his pet. Bodhicatva, HHC (His Holiness' Cat) or Rinpoche are some of the names she acquires at the monastery in McLeodgunj. 

Living with the monks and the Dalai Lama himself, the cat becomes a sort of an expert on Buddhist teachings. The pampering and love spoils her but His Holiness' wisdom keeps her grounded too, most of the times. Her wisdom comes through the observation of the Dalai Lama's meetings with celebrities and famous personalities to whom he gives out life's lessons.

The Buddhist teachings are laced with humour and drama, the latter being more favourable to HHC. I was full of peace and happiness when I closed the book and felt an inherent need to visit the beautiful monastery nestled in the mountains.

It's not a self help book and definitely not a life changing experience. But it definitely lit something inside me and left me happy, really happy. Pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...